Sometimes you just gotta enjoy the sublimely odd shit that is going on around you…
I kept a little file with some running notes as to what I should write in here, but I’ve just realised they have absolutely no semblance of chronological order at all.. so I’ll lump them together in a different way…
Little Pictures (x2): Fran mentioned that these guys would be hitting town, and I remembered seeing them at her alternative craft fair event last year, so I thought I’d pop along to give them some support as it’s got to be hard playing in an unfamiliar town.
Anyway, their first gig is at some weird multi-level club, in the basement level. Apparently the event is some end-of-semester student thing, and there are a very very young and very very drunk kids running around. Dressed in fluro. Throwing up all over the place. Most of them luckily spend their time upstairs away from the bands. I actually had to talk my way past the bouncers because I looked too old. Good grief. Continue reading Overdue blog post is (extremely) overdue…
So Fran came over to visit, to check out what this whole “Melbourne” thing I’ve been ranting on and on about…
- The Gin Club at The Gem in Collingwood – basically we were looking to go to a gig, and it was Sunday night, and I’d heard that this was on. We get into this tiny little suburban pub, and it’s totally packed out, standing room only. We then find out why; The Gin Club are just fantastically awesome. They’re a 7 (or so) piece from Brisbane, and all the band members write songs, and take turns at doing their songs. Everybody sings. At once. Just awesome
- Empanadas and other South American sweet foods in Fitzroy. Also Churros.
- Going to the State Library, both NGV galleries, seeing all the graffiti art in the laneways.
- Managing to go to the galleries, Queen Vic markets and Luna park… on the one day of the week that those things were individually closed… no forward planning FTL.
- Lots of wandering around town
- Some really terrible grunge band at Pony. Followed by a better indie punk group afterwards
- Catching up with Becca / cocktail bars
Dan’s visit: Well, Dan was in town for a week – he was mainly hanging out with Becca, but she brought him round for an afternoon/evening… while Becca stayed at my place playing Super Mario Galaxy on the Wii, Dan and I went into town and saw the Game On exhibition at the ACMI. They had Spacewar on a real-live, PDP-1 – the first EVER computer game! I totally owned Dan at a game of Pong! as well 🙂
Easter weekend: Amber and Bella came to visit from chilly old Chch… They spent most of their time here hanging out with Clara, but on the Saturday, they came over after going to the Draculas stage show thing, hung out a bit, had a few drinks, then we went into town to the goth/metal club – danced around like utter idiots.. it was great 🙂
Was going for a walk over to the museum this afternoon… I was going stir crazy at home and everyone is either busy or out of town for the long weekend. I’m not sure if the museum is open, i haven’t looked yet, but i’d be surprised if it was. Anyway back to the point, which is that i’m sitting in the park watching a couple of groups of people play basketball on the public courts. It reminds me of the group of guys i used to play with when i was younger – an awesome group of misfits and fuckups -none of which could have got a girlfriend if our lives depended on it. I think back on that time and smile.